Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Here we go again!

Well I don't know - I'd just got into my new course, when I ended up ill in bed for eight days!
It drives me nuts when my health lets me down, but it's certainly teaching me patience :o((

I'm very slightly behind in my course work, but I'm gradually catching up again. I'm quite enjoying the stuff we're working on - the texts we're using for the coursework are all from the mid-Victorian era, Charles Dickens being one of them - and I've found it fascinating (and sometimes infuriating) to read the attitudes of the day towards the working classes, and especially women and their so-called role in life (grrrrr).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bra-burner by any means (not with my bust anyway! lol), but the way women were treated was appalling - no rights to anything, and belonging to either their fathers or husbands - it seems unbelievable that they could put up with it for so long - no wonder they rebelled!
The whole point of the studying, is so that I get to practise writing academic essays properly, and it's been a bit of an eye-opener for me at that!
I did all this stuff when I was at school, but that was 20-odd years ago, and I'd forgotten so much of it it's frightening.
I'm glad I enrolled for this course now - I've a feeling I'm really going to need it. :o))

Ah well! I guess I'd better get back to the drawing board, and get on with my studying - talk to you again soon!

No comments: