Friday, September 07, 2007

And I Still Have A Way To Go . . .

'The best laid plans of Mice and Men.'
A phrase borrowed as a title for his book published in 1936, by the great John Steinbeck, which tells the tragic tale of two Anglo Migrant ranch workers in California, during the Great Depression,
but which comes originally from the poem:
'To a Mouse' by Robert Burns in 1786:
'But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.'


I couldn't resist starting my blog off this way as, all too often, my plans are 'aft a-gley', and it will be no surprise to anyone following my blog that my much-in-evidence-friend, illness, has been at work again.
I've got a week to complete my final TMA and, although I've cracked one half of it, the second is proving elusive, as usual! lol
I know - I should be hard at it over the keyboards (or voice-recognition softwear at the moment), getting it all done so I can get on with my revision for the October exam - but if the truth be known, I think I'm running out of steam :~/
My problem is that I had an op on my left hand on the 3rd, and I've been trying to do everything either one-handed, or through the sofware that I'm still not comfortable with, and which I know I'm not using properly, but I guess that's just down to my stubborness in not asking for help!
We're a strange lot, us humans, always trying to stay independent, and never asking for the help we know we need, but are either too embarrassed, or too stubborn to ask for - I know which one Bob would say I fall under!
Anyhoo, I'm roughly half-way through my TMA, and I guess it'll end up being my usual mad rush a day or so before cut-off before I get down to seriously writing the rest of it. The funny thing, is that I've thoroughly enjoyed both plays, especially waching the DVD's of them, and I've a ton of ideas as to what I want to say but, as usual, I've only got 1,500 words to say it all in and, as you may have noticed, I'm nothing,if not gabby! lol
Ah well, I'd better try and get some rest, then start tommorrow anew - you never know, al that inspiration that Terry Pratchett insists is sleeting through the universe, just might hit me in the night! lol

No comments: