Saturday, July 30, 2011

I keep on checking up . . .



. . . . . but there's still no sign of my results for my Children's Lit course.


Yes, I know! It won't be there until 5th August. But I keep on hoping that it'll mysteriously appear, just for me :/


I don't know why I worry so much about what my EMA score will be. After all, I won't be using my degree for any sort of career purposes - although, this afternoon, a good friend did ask me if I had any intention of trying to write something good enough to be published. 


My first instinct was to deny this. After all, I can't be the only one with file upon file of rejection slips, can I?


But, thinking about it a bit later on, I had to admit to myself that I haven't quite given up my dream of seeing a book I've written in print yet.


When I was young, I used to dream of writing the greatest literary piece ever, but education and life soon taught me that I'm not really up to those sort of standards. But a girl can dream, can't she? Lol


That's not to say that I don't have a chance at all, because I guess I've got as much chance as anyone else, to do something with all the ideas I have floating about in my head.


As a huge Terry Pratchett fan, I've always fancied the idea he put forward, in one of his earlier books, that all the great ideas are sleeting through the universe and, if you happen to be in the right place at the right time, you might be lucky, and get one bumping into your head!


I've have actually written a children's book recently, and my daughter is going to be illustrating it for me, as I love her style of artwork. She came to stay for a few days recently, and we sat discussing the book, and how we both envisage it, and I realised that there was so much more scope, for developing my book, than I might have realised before I took the two Creative Writing courses with the O.U. 
There's also the fact that my last course was a children's lit one, which taught me a lot about how to set out a book, especially one for children.


So, all in all I think, if we can develop this book the way we discussed it, I can't see any reason why I couldn't submit it to a publisher to look at and, you never know, someone might actually like it enough to print it! :)


And in the meantime, I'll keep signing in to student home, in the hope that my result is finally in!



No comments: