Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ten Things of Thankful #8

It's hard to believe that yet another week has gone by, but I guess when you spend your life mostly asleep, that's what happens :(

I've had to think really hard this week for my list of thankfuls but, by doing so, it helped me to see all the lovely little things that can outweigh anything bad - and that's got to be a good thing, right? :)

So, on to my list of 10 thankfuls:


  1. I'm really thankful that the surgeon told my Mum that he didn't have to operate on her wrist - Mum fell and broke it while visiting family in southern Ireland for a funeral and, because she's on Warfarin, the surgeons couldn't operate, and so had to take special care to manipulate the bones back into place. Mum's surgeon in East Anglia, where she lives, has told her it's healing well without surgical intervention, which is a relief to the whole family :)
  2. I'm thankful that the downturn in my Dad's health, after he said goodbye to his last sibling, was due more to a minor infection, than the desperate grief we thought it was. At least it was something fixable.
  3. I'm so very thankful for antibiotics, which have helped my dad very quickly, and are something with which I wouldn't have survived to adulthood without. It makes me so very glad to have been born at this time, rather than in the past, where so many died through lack of this relatively simple cure.
  4. I'm thankful to Lizzy Allen, of http://muddleheadedmamma.blogspot.com.au/, who cheered up my day on monday, by nominating me to the Leibster Award - it brought a smile to my face, which was no mean feat, believe me!
  5. I'm thankful that my daughter has returned safely home from her American jaunt - even though she was whisked away immediately to one of the last festivals of the season.
  6. I'm thankful that it'll only be a week or two before she's here with us in Wales for a week, where we can catch up on all she's done this last 4 weeks, and where she'll be ready to celebrate our anniversary with us :)
  7. I'm thankful for my hubby's friends, who unfailingly turn up to keep him company while I sleep away my days. They stop him from feeling alone while he watches over me, and they keep him distracted, and entertained, to stave off his worries over my health :)
  8. I'm so very thankful that we both have a keen sense of humour - and a sense of the ridiculous! Hubby has now convinced me that I'm actually a vegetarian vampire (I'm definitely a 'nice plate of veggies, with maybe a bit of fish', in preference to hubby's 'still-dripping-with-blood' enjoyment of meat), which, according to him, is why I shy away from the light, sleep all day, and can't be woken without him pulling out the stake! Lol
  9. I'm thankful for the lovely days we are still having, despite the drastic downturn in temperature, and the fact that I can still look out of my window, and see the sun glinting through the many and varied grasses that hubby loves to plant around our garden, while watching the local doves bathing in the bird bath. This is such a wonderful thing for me to enjoy :)
  10. I'm really thankful for my cat, Kushka, who is always there keeping me company, even while I sleep - in fact, especially while I sleep, as she can then get plenty of uninterrupted snoozing herself! Lol


 
Ten Things of Thankful


12 comments:

Lizzi said...

Katy, I'm really pleased that you found the exercise worthwhile, and I'm sorry to hear you've still been struggling. Really glad about the health situations with both your parents though - I can only imagine the relief now you don't have to worry so much about both of them.

Congratulations on your Leibster Award - what a wonderful thing to receive. I'm only just getting to know Lizzy, but I like her already :D

Glad you're enjoying the sunshine (I am NOT liking the cooler weather though) and that your garden is so full of beauty for you to watch.

Janine Huldie said...

Katy, I too am so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well and am hoping you are feeling a bit better today. Sounded like a great list though and thanks for sharing with us. And hope you can enjoy the rest of the weekend now.

Michelle Liew said...

I give thanks for your list too, and am glad that your dad is now feeling better! Thanks for sharing this heartfelt thanks with us!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's fall. It's so worrying when those things happen, especially to our own parents - so glad to hear it's healing though. You are enormously welcome for the Liebster Award. Thank you for mentioning me in your TToT list, you just put a huge smile on MY face too (and that's no mean feat considering what time it is over here at the moment!) I hope you have a peaceful week. Love Lizzy.

clark said...

congrats on the Award... what is it about them that make us feel good? (I know it is an Award), but there is something of the 'connectedness' that gets transmitted when one person does that for/to another... or maybe I am just a but dense on the emotional side of things (lol.. no! lol)

it is good that the family is healing/mending/doing better...

glad to have you a part of this here bloghop here... as much as it is exciting to see new faces, it is even more.... better (lol) when there arepeople that I have come to know.... ya know? lol

Unknown said...

Katy, so sorry about what sounds like a good bout of exhaustion with the other stuff too! The fatigue can get pretty monotonous Im sure...hope you are feeling more energetic soon and thank goodness for the new found family wellness as well!

Christine said...

Good news about your mom's injury is something for which to be grateful for sure.
I'm so glad you are getting to visit with your adventurous, world-traveling daughter. It must be hard to have her far away for such long stretches.
I do hope you are feeling a bit more awake this week and can laugh with your husband a little bit more.

Kari said...

I am so sorry you feel crummy so much of the time. My mom has fibromyalgia (among other issues) and is in pain a lot of the time and gets worn out a lot. So I can feel for you at least on that level. ;( Makes me sad for you...but I am SO glad you do this blog hop in spite of everything, it is hard, but worth it, I hope. ;)

Praying for more energy and great praises on both your parents!

Kristi said...

I'm sorry that you are having health concerns, but glad to hear that you have a great sense of humor. Laughing really is a good stress reliever.

Anonymous said...

I so agree that the little things of thankfulness counteract the yuck! I am so glad you are able to focus on those things.

Although,I would definitely count your mom not needing surgery and your dad's turn around in his health as really really big things! :-)

Hope this week is a better one for you!

Ouch Potato said...

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments - it's so heartening to know that people read my blog - and understand all the stuff I put on here :)

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

My, that's a lot of ill-health in your family. Hoping things improve greatly for all of you soon.

Love your husband's description of why he thinks you are a vegetarian vampire!

And aren't kitties wonderful when we aren't feeling well? They always know and come to snuggle with you and make you better.